Islamabad, August 18, 2022 (PPI-OT):30th meeting of the Standing Committee on Federal Education, Professional Training, National Heritage and Culture held today in the Parliament House Islamabad under the Chairmanship of Syed Sami-ul-Hassan Gillani, MNA.
2. On an agenda item concerning missing of admission forms for BA 1st Annual of 2000 (serial No. 5001-5100) from Islamia University of Bahawalpur, the VC of the said University (Eng. Prof. Dr. Athar Mahboob) was required to attend the meeting of the Standing Committee today but he did not turn up. He was also invited in the last meeting held on 3rd August, 2022, but he remained absent and today he repeated the same practice.
The Committee; taking note of the consecutive absence, termed the same a breach of the Parliament and unanimously decided to move Question of Privilege against the said VC.
3. Regarding agenda item pertaining to repatriation of 300 female teachers working on deputation basis on wedlock policy, the Committee was informed by the Mover (Ms. Aliya Kamran, MNA) that the teachers were not being paid salaries causing grave concern amongst them.
The Committee directed the Additional Secretary of the Ministry to look into the issue personally, ensure that none of these teachers is deprived of his/her fundamental right of salary and submit report accordingly.
The Director General Federal Directorate of Education was however directed by the Committee to provide detailed report containing names, positions/vacancies, years of service, salary’s status, spouse’s position, etc., of these teachers, to the Committee in the next meeting.
4. About the issue for attestation of degrees/transcripts of students of sub-campuses and affiliated colleges of Sargodha University by HEC; as pointed out by Ch. Hamid Hameed, MNA, the Committee was informed by the HEC that most of these degrees had been verified while the remaining will be attested in due course of time. He also shared with the Committee that the HEC was working on online attestation of degrees in future.
The Committee appreciated the HEC over its initiative for online attestation however directed the Chairman HEC to expedite the process of attestation of the remaining degrees so that the educated youth of Sargodha might get relief.
5. On the agenda item concerning discriminatory rules framed for Universities’ Teachers by the HEC, the delegation of All Pakistan Universities BPS Teachers’ Association (APUBTA) informed the Committee that the BPS faculty comprises 88% (40000) while TTS (Tenure Track System) faculty was 12%. Besides, huge discrimination in salaries, the BPS faculty was also denied career growth opportunities causing severe sense of deprivation amongst the Teachers.
The Chairman HEC informed the Committee that a committee comprising VCs, representatives from Ministries of Finance and Federal Education and APUBTA has been constituted to look into the matter of revised policy for appointment and promotions of BPS faculty. The said committee had already held two meetings.
As soon as, it finalizes its report, the same will be placed before Academic Committee of the Commission. He however assured the Committee to redress the grievances of the APUTBA. The Committee noted the reply but directed the Chairman HEC to get expedited the whole process.
6. The Committee also considered “The International Institute of Technology, Culture and Health Sciences Bill, 2022” (moved by Mr. Qadir khan Mandokhail, MNA). The Chairman HEC informed the Committee that the HEC supports the idea, thus, issued necessary NOC but slight amendments therein in the proposed legislation. The Committee recommended that the National Assembly may pass the said Bill.
7. The meeting was attended by MNAs; Ms. Mehnaz Akber Aziz, Dr. Nisar Ahmed Cheema, Ch. Hamid Hameed, Ms. Kiran Imran Dar, Dr. Samina Matloob, Ms. Mussarat Rafiq Mahesar, Dr. Shazia Sobia Aslam Soomro, Mr. Asmatullah, Mrs. Farkh Khan, Dr. Muhammad Afzal Khan Dhandla, Ms. Javairia Zafar Aheer, Ms. Aliya Kamran and Mr. Qadir Khan Mandokhail besides senior officers of Ministry of Federal Education and Professional Training and its Attached Departments/Organizations.
For more information, contact:
National Assembly of Pakistan
Automation Centre, National Assembly Secretariat,
Parliament House, Islamabad, Pakistan